Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Perfect

Father's Day was a couple of days ago (or it was when I first started this post). And while he is not my father, I have to be in on the event at our house since the girls aren't quite old enough to pull it off on their own...maybe next year. And this year was especially vital because I totally flaked out on Keith's birthday last month.
The girls had made gifts at school (now if only I could find them a month later) and I had bought a present ahead of time (now if only I could find that). Gifts...check.
"Girls lets go pick out a card for daddy" (I say this on the way to the swimming pool). Dylan (she's no dummy), "Why don't I make him a beautiful card and we can go straight to the pool. Micah can make one too" (insinuating that, of course, it will not be beautiful like hers). Cards...check.
Then I start the discussion of how the day will unfold.
"Dylan, what do you want to do for Father's Day?" "OK. Here's the plan. (dramatic pause) I don't know what the plan is, but it is going to be perfect." Oh, how that statement is the embodiment of her personality.
The day of the dad arrives.
Church. Then his choice for lunch--Chipotle--take out so that we could bring it home to eat and read the newspaper. Are we old or what?
Video games with the girls and then Toy Story 3.
Dinner--Pappasitos (that is appropriate right?) since the steaks didn't thaw in time. And he had been craving it since his birthday that I really failed the birthday celebration.
Great day...and she was right...it was perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment