Saturday, August 7, 2010

THAT MOM...008

One of the sure signs that you are dealing with THAT MOM is her complete and utter lack of preparedness. This is one of reasons I married an Eagle Scout...they are always prepared. That and he is really tall.

Today was a classic example of my lack of preparedness (is that even a word, by the way? If not, you get my point. A real journalist would #1. know whether or not it was or #2. look it up. I never promised real journalism. I didn't even promise fake journalism for that matter. I am way off subject now. Forgive me. See...real journalists stay on point.)

Let me start again. Today was a classic example of my lack of preparedness (I'm going with it, get over it). Several times throughout the afternoon, we tried to get the three-year-old to go to the potty. She has been potty trained for over a year now, so it's not so front and center of a topic. The final time I asked was before a birthday party (it was a gymnastics party, not that it matters except for the fact that she was wearing a leotard...that kind of makes a difference). I was idly chatting with some other moms on the sidelines. Sometime between cake and presents, Micah dismisses herself to the restroom. She usually takes care of all aspects herself because she is ULTRA INDEPENDENT. But this time I heard her calling for me from within. I go over to help and discover she had an accident. The poor girl had gotten in the bathroom, but the light wasn't on. She couldn't navigate or disrobe in the dark.

She calls for her mother to help and what use am I really? I can clean up the mess, but do I have extra underwear? Do I have a change of clothes? Do I have a towel or other covering device? Of course not. And once you wet the panties and leotard...you are pretty much out of luck. The best I can do is wrap her in paper towels from the restroom or I have a reusable grocery bag in my purse. I might have been able to devise some underwear from that or maybe just carry her out in it.

I seek assistance from the other moms. Another common trait among those who are THAT MOM is that they usually are smart enough to surround themselves with moms of higher caliber...SWEET MOM, ORGANIZED MOM, UNFLAPPABLE MOM, CREATIVE MOM, GOURMET MOM, RESOURCEFUL MOM, FASHIONABLE MOM, or PREPARED MOM. Thankfully my PREPARED MOM friend Melanie was in the crowd. She just happened to have a pair of underwear in her purse. Underwear in the purse...who would have ever thought of such an awesome idea?

I was able to spare her from being removed from the party completely naked (I really would like for that to be a trend for the rest of her party-going days as well). Thank you Melanie for having my back so you didn't have to see Micah's back side.

1 comment:

  1. Have I told you lately that I love you? And that your posts make me laugh so much I cry? Often because I can totally relate?

    ReplyDelete