Tuesday, December 7, 2010

THAT MOM...015

I was pulling out all the stops for THAT MOM of the year today.

I suppose it actually started several months ago when I marked my calendar for today (do I get special points for actually trying to keep a calendar or do I get demerits for not doing it correctly?). I wrote that I had a Moms' Connection meeting this morning. So when I volunteered to help out a little with our Christmas party a couple of weeks ago I was doomed. Then after Thanksgiving, I just did a follow-up with our leader to see what she needed help with. She didn't seem very urgent about anything and simply said, if you will just order the food, I can handle decorations. Simple enough, I'll just order food (I think you see where this might be going). Then today I take my oldest to school and then I was going to swing by the store to pick up ice and tea. Get half-way there are discover I have left my purse at home. ARGGGG. I don't have time for this today. I have got places to be. Go home, get the purse, get the present wrapped, get the youngest dressed, and head back out the door. Buy the ice and tea and head to the church for the meeting.

But wait...why is the childcare classroom dark? where is everyone? I'm not that early. Uh-oh!!!! Is today the 1st Tuesday or the 2nd Tuesday of the month. NOOOOOOO. The meeting is next week. THE FOOD!!

So I rush home to find out what is to be of our catering order. Is my family going to have to eat 35 helpings of the 8-salad sampler buffet? Will they let me cancel it one hour before I'm supposed to pick up? They did let me cancel it (or I guess reschedule for next week). Yes! Now I have two bags of ice melting in my car. Do I try to cram it in our freezer to save for next week? Nope, it won't fit. Load up Micah for the fifth time before 9:30am. I was able to return that to Braum's. Whew. She was very sad that we weren't keeping the tea. She pleaded her case for ice cream and tea when we get home. I negotiated one more errand and the tea and ice cream at 10 in the morning would be hers and upped the ante to lunch at Chick-fil-a.

But it doesn't end there folks.

Around 11:00, we head to Chick-fil-a. We are not far from three different ones, but not close any. I get about 3/4 of the way there and realize that once again, I left my purse at home. What on earth?!?! But now we are too invested in the Chick-fil-a idea to dump it for something closer...even though I am supposed to go on a field trip with Dylan's class today at 1. Home, grab purse and back on route to C-F-A. Run into some friends there and have a nice lunch.

But wait, we have to go or we are going to be late to the field trip. Head back across town to the school. As we are going down the street, we cross paths with three school buses. Yep, I literally missed the bus. Run into the school to verify that those were the buses that I was supposed to be on as a sponsor. As I pass the destination, I see the buses unloading (with every other 1st and 2nd grader in the district), but I can't find a parking spot. I park illegally and run through a field in heals, then head into an auditorium full of 6, 7 and 8 year olds screaming. Yeah, volunteering for this field trip probably wasn't my most enlightened moment either.

What a day!

Thankfully it ended much better than it started--a nice evening with the family watching Charlie Brown Christmas. Ahhh.

2 comments:

  1. Girl I can SO feel your pain on this. And to top it off, I just went on a migraine pill that has a slight chance of killing my short term memory. Joe said "how will we gauge if the pill is working since you have never had short term memory?" I've bought the 1000 pack of post-its to help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am impressed you stayed with it after all that. I would've considered going home and staying there. Permanently. :)

    ReplyDelete